Participates as a team member in the assessment, treatment, and provision of care and health promotion for all patients through supportive, therapeutic, palliative and rehabilitative means while adhering to the standards mandated by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Provides care to medical, surgical, chronic, paediatric, obstetrical, rehabilitative and/or palliative patients whose care may be complex and whose outcomes may be unpredictable.
- Registered with College of Nurses as an RN
- Possess current Basic Cardiac Life Support.
- Certification on Perioperative nursing
- Certification in Delegated Control Acts and additional nursing skills dependent on work area.
- Operating Room Certificate,
- Strong conflict resolution skills when dealing with staff, supervisors, physicians, patients and family members.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in recognizing situations that may require immediate attention of appropriate person/people.
- Ability to provide educational opportunities for clients and family, other health care providers and health care students.
- Knowledge of and adherence to Occupational Health and Safety and Infection Control Practices, College of Nurses Standards of Practice, and Health Centre policy and procedures
- Must strive to continuously provide a safe and supportive environment for patients, staff, physicians, and volunteers
- Must adhere to the duties of workers, as stipulated in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Must have an ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) in the English language in order to provide excellent communication with team members, patients and families. Ability to communicate in additional language(s) is considered an asset.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be dedicated to professional growth & development
- Must be able to perform all bona fide and essential duties of the position, which may include physical demands such as moving/transferring patients, pushing, pulling, bending, etc.
- Must have demonstrated excellent attendance/performance record
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively communicate with other members of the health care team
- CNCP certification preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
The perioperative nurse is responsible and accountable for the major nursing activities occurring in the surgical suite. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assessing of the patient's physiological and psychological status before, during, and after surgery
- Identifying priorities and implementing care based on sound nursing judgment and individual patient need
- Functioning as a role model of a professional perioperative nurse for students and colleagues
- Functioning as a patient advocate by protecting the patient from incompetent, unethical, or illegal practices during the perioperative period
- Coordinating all activities associated with the implementation of nursing care by other members of the health-care team
- Demonstrating a thorough knowledge of aseptic principles and techniques to maintain a safe and therapeutic surgical environment
- Directing or assisting with the care and handling of all supplies, equipment, and instruments, to ensure their economic and efficient function for the patient and personnel under both normal and hazardous condition
- Performing as a scrub or circulating nurse as needed, based on knowledge and expertise for a specific procedure
- Follow principles of a perioperative nurse in both the circulating and scrub roles in the OR
Location: Surgical Services
Employment Type: Perm. PT
Start Date: In line with the next Hospital Orientation Intake
Hours of Work: Days, nights, weekends and on call
Please be reminded that as a Hospital, in order to provide the necessary patient care, our operations run 24/7. Therefore, depending on the program for which you are applying, it may be an expectation that you are available to work week days and weekends, as well as all shifts - days, evenings, and nights.
Wage: $33.23- $47.57
Benefits: This position also includes 6% vacation pay and 13% in lieu of benefits as well as access to the Employee & Family Assistance Program and access to CGMH Perkopolis discounts. CGMH endorses the Health Care Providers Group Insurance Plan which provides Group Benefits for you and your eligible dependents by enrollment only.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in joining our inspiring team, please apply by submitting an updated copy of your resume and cover letter in PDF or Word format via APPLY NOW.
Due to the volume of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised that as part of the mandatory screening process CGMH requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation, plus a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Collingwood General and Marine Hospital is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We encourage all qualified individuals including visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2s+ persons, and others who may contribute to a diverse workplace to apply. If contacted regarding a competition, please advise Human Resources of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.